- 1/2 pound (about 2 cups) dried cavatelli or other small shell-shaped pasta
- 1/2 pound (about 3 links) sweet Italian sausage
- 1 bunch (about 3/4 pound) broccoli rabe, tough and hollow stems discarded, washed well
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Accompaniment: freshly grated Parmesan cheese
While pasta is cooking, squeeze sausage from its casings into a large heavy skillet and sauté over moderately high heat, stirring to break up chunks, until no longer pink. With slotted spoon transfer sausage to a bowl, reserving drippings in skillet.
Cut broccoli rabe into 1-inch pieces and sauté in reserved drippings, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown. Add garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, 1 minute. Add broth and raisins and simmer until broccoli rabe is just tender, about 3 minutes. Add butter, stirring until incorporated.
Drain pasta and return to kettle. Add broccoli rabe mixture and sausage and heat through if necessary.
Serve pasta with Parmesan.
I ate mine without the Parmesan because (sadly) I am lactose intolerant. It's absolutely delicous without it, though. I suggest adding about half the broth and leaving the rabe a little crunchy.