Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Roasted Broccoli and Turnip Soup


I washed 2 heads of broccoli and trimmed the greens from 4 turnips and skinned two cloves of garlic. Put everything in a roasting dish with 5 oz of water and 2 tsp of olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt. Roast veggies for an hour at 400°. Once everything is roasted you’ll need an immersion blender or regular blender to make the soup. Blend veggies with unsweetened soymilk, salt, pepper, and a little lime juice, till you reach your desired consistency (I like my creamy soups a bit on the thick side). I also used 3 oz of filtered water to thin my soup and I added 2 tsp of olive oil for a silkier, creamy texture. You can stop here or you can strain half of the soup with a mesh colander, throw out fibers and broccoli bits, then blend in the unfiltered other half.  I like all the fiber so I don’t usually strain soups. I just blend and blend till I get the texture I like. I think this soup has a very mild flavor and could really lend itself to some amazing creativity. I think next time I make it I may want to use some sesame oil or truffle oil.
Source

No comments: