Sunday, May 17, 2009

Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful

French Breakfast Radishes



Ahhh, Radishes... They are one of those things that people tend to either love or hate. I tend to fall somewhere in the middle. I love radishes sometimes, and I love things that have a similar bite, such as horseradish, nasturtium, and mustard, but never really developed much of a taste for regular ol' radishes...that is, until I became a CSA member. Like many other offerings of the CSA that tend to fall into this category (turnips, greens, chiles, beets, you know, the ones you regularly see in abundance in the trade basket or the ones that you take, disdainfully, that end up wilting away in the back of your crisper drawer), I have, over time, developed more of an appreciation, if not downright desire, for many of them. Perhaps that is because, by nature, I am constantly looking for new and interesting ways of preparing them, some simple, some complex. Perhaps part of it is that I realize that the fresh, enlivened versions are actually quite good compared to their insipid, dull supermarket cousins. Whatever the reason, I am glad that I have expanded my culinary horizons to incorporate them into my cooking and eating. Besides, who couldn't at least be intrigued by these little beauties...?

We made a wonderful salad with the ingredients below for lunch today, and served it with pita chips and some little pre-made filo shells we had begging to be used. It would also be exceptional added to cooked quinoa, pasta, or heaven-forbid, wheat berries, or even served simply over a bed of greens. In the interest of infinite variations, this salad is open to many other interpretations based on what you have on hand and what you have a hankering for (carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, chile peppers, crab, turkey, salmon, turnips, kohlrabi, cabbage, peas, bean, corn, oranges, etc., etc., etc.)





  • 1 handful radishes, chopped
  • 1 handful radish greens, minced
  • 2 green onions (or I'itoi onions), minced
  • 2 Tbs. capers
  • 1 cucumber or several pickles, chopped
  • 2 avocadoes, cubed
  • 1/4 cup fresh dill weed, minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise or yogurt
  • 1 can tuna, drained & flaked (if in oil, do not drain, but reduce amount of mayo)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

No comments: