- 1 cup (210 g) wheat berries or spelt
- 1 large carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut across into thin slices
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and then across into 1/4-inch (.5-cm) slices
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2 large leeks, white part only, split in half lengthwise, washed well, and cut across into thin slices
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) cubes
- 3 medium ribs celery, peeled and cut across into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a medium stockpot, bring the wheat berries and 13 cups (3.25 liters) water to a boil [for added flavor, replace some or all of the water with Garlic Broth ]. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 50 minutes, or until the wheat berries are almost cooked through, but not mushy.
Stir in the carrot, parsnips, turnip, and leeks. Return to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the sweet potato and celery. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
Season with pepper.